Sunday, March 22, 2015

Stop Sinning

We all have crap that we deal with on a daily basis. Hectic schedules, busy families, and a variety of conflicts that seem to plague us from every direction. I mean. We live in a world saturated in sin, and being sinners by nature, we can quickly become submerged.

I have been stuck in the bondage of sin for too long.
I’m currently working through a Beth Moore study right now called Breaking Free, and it is geared toward finding freedom in Christ (something I desperately need). Part of experiencing this freedom deals with examining and breaking any generational bondage or strongholds that have been passed down through the lineage of family. I know the power of generational strongholds, for I have seen firsthand what alcoholism and anger have done to my family. But when my parents became Christians, they worked diligently to change the course of my generation and those to come, and they set a new standard of living for our family--the inheritance I am now experiencing as a daughter of God.

As I prayed through my family’s past to eliminate any chains of bondage remaining, I found myself wishing that I would find my own garbage in the dumpsters of my ancestors. I kept hoping that maybe, just maybe, I would find out that somewhere in my lineage, someone struggled with the same things that I do. At least that would give me an excuse for why I’ve been marred by these sins for years.

I called my mom to find out, and she set me straight.
She said, “Stop sinning.”
And that was that.

I got so blinded in trying to figure out “why” I was having these problems with sin, that I lost sight of the actual problem. I got so caught up in discovering the “root” of my issues, when really, I am making the choice to disobey and sin. I was trying to find a rationale for this cyclical sin that I’ve been clutching onto for so long, that I was relinquishing my control of choice and empowering satan.  (The “why” and the “root” certainly serve great purpose in experiencing freedom in Christ--but for this appointed time--all I needed was for someone to tell me to stop it.)

When you are tempted to fall into the snares of satan, resist.
"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)

God does not tempt us to sin. Satan does. “The enemy, that ancient serpent, has been around a very long time and knows man’s tendencies and vulnerabilities” (Beth Moore). Satan is alive and well, and he knows exactly what he is doing.
"Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)

Every time I give into temptation, I allow satan to have victory over me. I give him a foothold and practically invite him to come back to tempt me again because it’s worked before! I allow him to fill me with doubt and insecurities about my identity in Christ, and I have given him power; however, satan is completely powerless and has already been defeated under Jesus’ feet. (Why do I forget this?!) We are called to live in freedom. We are not called to be slaves of darkness but rather children of light. We need to walk in light, truth, and freedom. We need to stop sinning.
"For freedom Christ set us free. No longer be entangled in a yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1)

Jesus promises us that when we confess our sins, He will surely forgive us. This must happen first. We need to fall at the feet of Jesus and confess our sins.
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

This confession is twofold; in James, we also see the command to confess our sins to one another. Speaking our sins out loud to our spouses, our friends, and our families allows us to experience the fullness of the body of Christ. This confession breaks the enemy’s power of shame and secrecy, and it allows fruits of accountability and trust to be built.
"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." (James 5:16)

Just as we are to confess our sins, we are also to relish in victory with these same people when we have overcome the temptation of darkness! Celebrate the moments that you say, “Get behind me satan!” and continue walking in victory through Jesus.

Jesus promises that he will manifest himself to us if we are obedient to His word, and I desperately want this. Don't you?
"Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them." (John 14:21)

I know it’s been a long time since I’ve written. I have been negligent to my voice, and I have allowed the enemy victory over me in my silence. Jesus speaks, and I have quenched his voice--I have allowed my voice and my desires to resound louder than His.

It’s time to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment