Thursday, May 7, 2015

25 Things

For my twenty-fifth birthday, I thought it would be fun to compile a list of 25 things about me. Making lists is one of my favorite things, so this is a treat in itself! It’s silly and fun, but so are the best things in life.

  1. I teach 7th grade language arts, and you wouldn’t believe some of the conversations that I get to have on a daily basis. (I could write a book.)
  2. I’m a chronic “early blinker” driver. It’s an issue. I find myself using my turn-signal at least a half-mile out (if not further in advanced). Sometimes I get embarrassed, so I turn it off, and then I turn it back on. The struggle is real.
  3. I’m a hoarder. I have a hard time throwing things away, but after reading Seven by Jen Hatmaker, I have made a conscious effort to be better. Kev and I have gotten rid of eight FULL totes from our home in the past week!!
  4. Even though I’m an English teacher, I’m not an avid reader. Sure, I enjoy a good book, but I’d rather spend my time doing other things. (oops).
  5. Brian and Katie Torwalt’s album Here on Earth has been playing on repeat for the last few weeks. “I Breathe You In, God” makes me sob. It speaks right to my heart. All of the songs do, but I could repeat these words over, and over, and over again: “When I don’t understand, I will choose you, God.” For we serve a good God who is so, so faithful.
  6. I’m a verbal processor; thus, Kevin is my sounding board. We aren’t planning to have kids for another few years, but we like to talk baby. Kevin is going to be the best dad, and it’s fun to dream about it. Names, nursery, cloth diapers--all talked about. Nothing decided.
  7. I’ve been researching the idea of a capsule wardrobe. It might happen, but I’m nervous. Because, really, 37 pieces in my closet? That’s it? Read more about it here and help me rationalize this: http://www.un-fancy.com/category/capsule-wardrobe-101/
  8. Group fitness is definitely for me. I’m ridiculously competitive, so when I see some chick in the front of the class doing more burpees than me, I push harder. I wish I had enough self-discipline to push myself on my own, but I don’t. I joined Kosama, and I love it!
  9. Our front porch is my favorite part of our house. I can’t wait to finish staining it and hang my ferns! (Is this a sign I’m 25?)
  10. I’m applying for a counseling and human development graduate program. Classes start next spring. I’m nervous and excited!
  11. I’m an awful golfer, but I really want to be better! I’m a good athlete, but only because I try really hard and hustle. I get frustrated in activities where skill is required and where hustling won’t help me be successful. (Disclaimer: Hustle is involved when I sprint after the ball from the tee box if it’s within fifty yards--mulligan may be my middle name). I hope to practice and improve more this summer!
  12. I’ve only worn dress pants a handful of times in the past two years. (I just got rid of six pair). Colored jeans, dresses, long shirts, and leggings are my jam.
  13. I am a fan of the oxford comma. (clearly).
  14. I love watching Jesus free people from bondage because experiencing this freedom has been so rich in my own life. I find such joy in watching chains break in the name of Jesus.
  15. I drink a gallon of water almost every day. It’s pretty easy considering I have a number of “professional water bottle fillers” at my disposal. My secret? A 32 oz. Bubba with bright-colored, silicone straws and lots of ice to keep my water cold!
  16. Kevin bought a scooter, and we have LOVED having it; however, he is ready to upgrade. My man is now a motorcycle guy. Ha! I’ve never really cared for motorcycles, but now that Kevin is looking to buy one, I need to support him and figure out my style as a “biker chick”
  17. I am a procrastinator. I love to make to-do lists and write down everything that must be done, but the actual “doing” of the task is where I struggle. a lot.
  18. I drive a manual 2002 Toyota Corolla, and as of last week, it just got a MAJOR upgrade! Kevin installed a brand-new stereo system with bluetooth and a usb port--I am smitten! How romantic, right? He even vacuumed and wiped everything clean; it feels like a brand new car!
  19. I spend two nights a week and most weekends coaching a 14s JO volleyball team. I push them hard and give them tough love, but it’s only because I see an unbelievable amount of potential in them. They are hilarious, and they keep me updated on what’s cool and what’s not. (sandals sans socks is NOT cool).
  20. I asked for a succulent plant for my birthday. Once again, a sign of turning 25? Maybe.
  21. Every hot drink I sip must be had in a contigo cup, otherwise the drink gets too cool too quickly. I like my hot drinks to be hot. If my contigo mug isn’t around, I prefer an iced drink. I got it from my mama--we’re heat snobs.
  22. In a recent spring cleaning purge, we came across the Super Nintendo. I played a level of Donkey Kong like a champ finding all the old “secret” tunnels etc. Kevin turned to me and said, “Who are you?!” I smugly smiled and was thankful for my big bro.
  23. Peanut butter + banana toast is my go-to snack, but toasted cinnamon & raisin Ezekiel bread + coconut oil is a close fave.
  24. Instagram is my favorite social media outlet; I love seeing life through pictures.
  25. Being married to Kevin is my favorite thing in life. I love spending my time with him, and I love working side by side to accomplish a task. He is so driven and disciplined, and he is constantly encouraging me in every aspect of my life. He is such a gift, and life with him is so much fun!

Kevin asked me last night what I hoped 25 would bring, and ultimately, I hope it brings change. I love where I’m at in life, but I want to change for the better. I don't want to stay the same. I want to be more like Jesus. That’s the only thing I can hope this year brings. I so desperately want to surrender my bad habits, my bad attitudes, and my sin, and I want to allow Christ to shine fully through me. This year is a gift, and I plan to treat it as such. 

My family, friends, and students have made this day perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment